News & blog
How to add a mobile plan to your Apple Watch Family Setup
Getting started with Apple Watch Family Setup
With a new feature launched today – Apple Watch Family Setup – customers can now use their iPhone to set up multiple Apple Watches for family members. Each Watch can then make or receive calls and messages, use Siri, use Maps, and more—with their own number and account.
Other popular features of the Watch will also be available, including SOS alerts and the ability to share health and location data.
Here we’ll take you through how to get your family’s Apple Watch set up and how to buy a monthly or annual plan with Truphone.
First, check your Apple Watch is compatible
Apple Watch Family Setup is available of any of these models:
Apple Watch Series 5 (GPS + Cellular)
Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS + Cellular)
Apple Watch Nike+ Series 4 and Series 5 (GPS + Cellular)
(Please check the Apple website for the most up-to-date list.)
Both your iPhone and the Apple Watch must be running on the latest iOS.
Set up Family Sharing
Make sure you have set up Family Sharing. You can do so by going to Settings > Apple ID > Family Sharing > Add Member.
You can add an existing Apple ID for your family member or create a new one. It’s also possible to add and create a new family member ID when you set up your Apple Watch.
Set Up your Watch for a Family Member
- Select “Set Up for a Family Member”
- Pair your Apple Watch, by holding the device in front of the iPhone camera
- Once pairing is achieved, read and accept the terms and conditions.
- Set your text size, and four-digit password
- Now you can select the family member who will be using the Watch
- These are tied to your Family Sharing settings
- If you don’t see your family member, you can either add their existing Apple ID now, or create them a new one.
- Once you’ve entered their Apple ID and password, the Apple Watch will be successfully connected.
- Enter your Apple Watch passcode to complete the process.
Buying a Truphone Watch cellular plan
Once your Watch is paired successfully, you can now buy a Truphone cellular watch plan for family members. This Watch can then make or receive calls and messages, use Siri, use Maps, and more—with its own number.
- From the Watch app on your iPhone, select the Watch. Now tap Cellular Plan.
- Tap Set Up Cellular Plan.
- If your mobile carrier supports multiple Watch plans in your region, you will be shown the plans available to you.
- If your mobile carrier doesn't support multiple Watch plans in your region, click the link below to search for other carriers.
- You’ll be redirected to the Apple website. Under Family Setup, tap Jump to Family Setup network providers
- Find your country and select Truphone to buy your subscription.
- On the Truphone Family Setup portal, your location should have been selected automatically.
- Now you can select whether you would prefer a monthly or yearly subscription
- Each new device connected to Truphone receives a 7 day free trial completely free.
- Create an account or log in to Truphone.
- If you’re new to Truphone, or haven’t previously verified your email, you will have to do this to proceed.
- On the Checkout page enter your Watch’s EID. If you’re not sure where to find it, click here to learn more.
- When you check out you will not be charged until your free trial ends.
- After checking out, it will take a couple of minutes to configure your plan. Once it’s ready you should receive a system notification to install your Truphone plan to the Apple Watch.
- If you do not receive the notification, you can manually set up your plan by going to the Watch app on your iPhone, tap Mobile Data, then Set Up Mobile Data and follow the prompts.
- Your Apple Watch may take a couple of minutes to attach to the Truphone network, but once it does, you will see the screen below.
- If your plan is showing up like this, then you are connected! If you would like to double check, you can call the Apple Watch’s new phone number. Or, you can check your plan on the Watch by going to Settings > Mobile Data. “Truphone” should be visible with a green tick, and status “Connected."
If this is not the case then we encourage you to contact our customer support on +1 646 360 1689 or email@example.com.
Your Apple Watch will work just like a normal smartphone. With its own number, you have unlimited calls, SMS and data to use your favourite apps.
Manage your plans from your phone or laptop just by logging in to go.truphone.com/dashboard.