What is the GSMA eSIM Discovery Service and Why Should Operators Care?
You may already be aware about the GSMA eSIM Discovery service, maybe you’ve seen one of the GSMA’s posts on LinkedIn of late, or perhaps you’ve got your eSIM finger on the pulse. Or, perhaps this is news to you.
We’re pretty excited about it at Truphone, not just because we’re one of only four SM-DP+ service provider partners on the planet. But because we’re keen on industry standards when it comes to technology – especially when it’s there to safeguard something as huge as the eSIM revolution.
So, what exactly is it? And why should you care.
Simply put, the GSMA eSIM Discovery service is the industry specified, universally-recognised method for remote eSIM provisioning. Working with an SM-DP+ partner, operators can rest assured that they are in expert hands for the next step in their eSIM journey. This standardised way of activating eSIM subscriptions will make life easier for the customer, operator and the entire ecosystem – saving time and money for all.
Benefits for operators
Secure and tested.
- A proven way of streamlining subscription information delivery from mobile network operator (MNO) straight through to the consumer
Truly digital. Truly universal.
- eSIM adoption can be maximised by making the customer journey quick and easy with one-time setup on their chosen network – ensuring a true digital customer journey
- Universal remote activation that’s endorsed by the industry
- Universal compatibility with all OEMs
- Standardised integration at scale. An MNO can activate devices across all major device distribution channels: Network Operators, Digital, Retail and the growing Open Market Device arena with no need for integration between individual OEMs and MNOs
- Better than a printed QR Code, the GSMA eSIM Discovery service does not require the print and distribution costs usually associated in the Telecomms industry – no plastic or paper at point of sale is required, since activation can happen from anywhere
Reduce cost. Save time.
- Reduces customer enquiries on how to provision eSIM with customer services, by automating profile location and subscription activation
- Reduces cost associated with SIM procurement, expenses, inventory, logistics and in-store physical SIM customer processes.
To learn more about the GSMA eSIM Discovery service including how it works, head here.